I want to be the kid in this video so bad!!! That laugh just makes me smile and laugh over and over!!! It does good things in my soul and my body. Solomon wrote, “A cheerful heart is good medicine,” (Prov 17:22) thousands of years before modern science has confirmed this statement to be completely accurate . . .
- Scientists have found that laughter reduces stress responses by increasing bloodflow and oxygenation.
- Laughter boosts the immune system – by increasing a type of white blood cells that attack cancer.
- Laughter combats depression – even forced laughter produces a cocktail of hormones that can increase your mood.
- Laughter relieves pain – people who laugh often are bothered less by the pain they do experience, scientists have found.
So here’s the point – laughter is awesome and we need a cheerful heart – so besides putting the baby laughing video on repeat for the next hour (which I highly recommend – hehe), how do we lean into Jesus statement from John 15:11 “I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. (Jn. 15:11 NIV). Here are some steps to complete joy . . .
- Remain in Jesus’ love. That is the “this” from verse 10 that verse 11 is referring to. Recognize that Jesus loves you, over and over and over. Let it get down deep into your soul until it produces a smile in your body.
- Let Jesus’ joy in, consistently, habitually and fully. If this is hard for you, set a timer in your day to have a belly laugh, and turn on this video (or something like it) and recognize that our Heavenly Father knows how to push your buttons for joy just like this father does with his baby.
- Imagine Jesus smiling. Some of you are unsure of this one – but just try it. It will be fun. Imagine Him laughing with you. Imagine what perfect joy looks like and then experience it with Him.
I can just feel us getting healthier already. Now, it’s time to give that health away. Be joyful with someone else, and let your health and healing become contagious – just like Jesus!